It has been almost as much of a transfer soap opera as Neymar's, but now the deal to take Ousman Dembele to Barcelona has officially been announced for a sum of 105 million euros.
There are some variables to the deal but they have not been disclosed.
The young Frenchman becomes the most expensive signing in the history of the club and his termination clause will be set at 400m euros, the Catalans clearly learning their lesson with the way in which Neymar was allowed to be signed by paris Saint-Germain.
It's a five year contract which will be signed on Monday, Dembele the fourth capture of this summer after Deulofeu, Semedo and Paulinho.
He will wear Neymar's old No.11 shirt and arrives in the city on Sunday evening.
Phillipe Coutinho is now a priority for Barcelona and they hope that in the next few days, Liverpool agree to negotiate the transfer.
The Reds will be offered an amount similar to that of Dembele.
Cristiano Ronaldo: When Messi and I go? There will be Asensio, Neymar ...
After winning the UEFA best player of the year award, Cristiano Ronaldo, mentioned a few names that could be up for nomination in the future, once he and Lionel Messi have retired.
The two greats have won most of the major individual awards over the past decade, so it was put to the Portuguese who he feels could be in-line for the top gongs.
[Marco] Asensio, Neymar, [Kylian] Mbappe, [Ousmane] Dembele, [Eden] Hazard, [Marcos] Rashford, there are some very good names around, "he said at the end of the evening.
The form of his colleague Asensio has not gone unnoticed recently, the Spaniard has scoring some impressive goals in big matches, on both the international stage and in LaLiga.
Valverde: Dembele gives Barcelona depth which is what we need
Barcelona's record signing, Ousmane Dembele, will arrive for more than 100 million euros and new coach Ernesto Valverde believes he is just the sort of player the club needs.
The Frenchman will join the Catalans from Borussia Dortmund and will wear the No.11 shirt, previously used by Neymar.
"He [Dembele] is a player who concernses us depth, something we have lost and need," Valverde confirmed in his pre-match press conference.
"He can play on both sides, in the middle or deep, he is very technical."
With Neymar moving to Paris Saint-Germain for 222 million euros, the club has splashed a huge amount on their new recruit.
"We know how things are going in this market, in the last few days everything will take off," Valverde continued.
"It seems that all the clubs are going to sign the most expensive players in their history because prices are rising."
The Blaugrana face Alaves on Saturday but the game will come too early for Dembele to make his debut.
"It is impressive, Dembele was barely known a few years ago but he is a quality player and Barcelona was after him more than any other team," Valverde said.
With four summer signings already, many feel that the Blaugrana needs a few extra faces to really challenge in the major competitions like the Champions League.
"It's a difficult group we're not going to deny, Juventus are the finalists of last year and eliminated us, a side that defensive and offensively are great," he said.
"I had a dream of going back to Athens and playing against Olympiacos.
"It's a very special place."
Up to four players could set to exit the Camp Nou in the coming days the coach has confirmed.
"Douglas, Arda Turan and Thomas Vermaelen may leave, so let's wait and see," he noted.
"At the moment there are five central defenders in the team and it is possible that Marlon will also leave."
Dembele will wear Neymar's old No.11
BarcelonaOusmane Dembele's new record signing will not only look to replace Neymar's goals but will now wear the No.11 shirt that was previously the property of the Brazilian.
The Frenchman will link up with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez to become 'MSD' at the Camp Nou.
His new number has now been officially announced by the Catalans and he is the fourth summer signing after Paulinho, Nelson Semedo and Gerard Deulofeu.
Coutinho and Di Maria to follow
Barcelona have taken an important step with the hiring of Ousmane Dembele, but they want more.
The Frenchman had become their priority transfer because he was a request of the sporting director and because the club was always able to negotiate with Borussia Dortmund.
The German club did not make things easy, but unlike others, at least they sat at a table to discuss the operation.
Now the Catalans enter the last week of the transfer market with the need for at least one more signing.
Philippe Coutinho and Angel Di Maria are in the club's sights and the arrival of one would not exclude the other, as previously believed.
Indeed, the sporting director will try to bring both two players in but the task is very complicated for several reasons.
Firstly, because both Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool are reluctant to negotiate.
In the last hours, however, the Reds have opened a door and are not as inflexible as they have been shown to be over the summer.
Not to mention that the player keeps pushing to leave.
According to the latest information from England, Coutinho has asked the club not to be included in their Champions League list.
Barcelona are optimistic, but also aware that the operation will surely exceed the 105 million that they paid for Dembele.
In the next few hours, they will try a new approach with Liverpool.
The other route that remains fully open is that of Di Maria and his capture does not depend on whether or not the Catalans eventually procure Coutinho.
A few days ago PSG said they were not willing to negotiate for the Argentinian but Barcelona will again return in the coming days with new tactics.
What will be decisive is the arrival of Mbappe to the French club.
If the Parisians sign him, they will need to sell and Barcelona will then push harder for Di Maria.
The other big problem is the economic one.
At present, 187 million euros have already been spent on four new signings and there's approximately 100m left over if we take into account Neymar and Tello's revenues and add in the 60m that the club initially intended for reinforcements.
Coutinho would eat up that 100m, so it would be necessary to finance Di Maria by selling several players.
One of them is Andre Gomes.
At the beginning of summer, Barcelona received an offer for the player of 45m euros and if they can get that amount now, a similar price to Di Maria, the Blaugrana will get their man.
Jorge Mendes is looking for a possible buyer for Gomes, but one hasn't appeared as yet.
Rafinha is another, but the problem is the physical condition of the player who hasn't well recovered from his knee problems.
With Turan they don't expect much money.
Manchester City will not pursue 'impossible' Messi deal
Reports had broken earlier in the week that Lionel MessiThe 300 million euro release clause is under threat from Manchester City, but the Premier League club have distanced themselves from such a move.
After Neymar left for Paris Saint-Germain in a world record deal, the prospect of Barcelona's most cherished talent departing in a similar deal was a deeply worrying one for the Camp Nou club.
"Messi is impossible," football director Txiki Begiristain told The Sun. "He will stay at Barcelona in complete safety."
As for Kylian Mbappe, the City transfer chief again noted that he won't pursue the Monaco forward.
"We are out of the race [for Mbappe]," Begiristain added. "It is impossible to do in the remaining time.
"If something happens in the last few days, our job is to always be ready. If we think we can improve the squad, we will do it."